Review of Mine: My Name is Luca








Title       : My Name is Luca
Author    : Ginger Elyse Shelley
Publisher: Laksana Fiction
Copyright: July, 2013
Content   : 406 pages
ISBN       : 978-602-7933-34-7

"Oliver Wood is just an ordinary kid who lived in a little town. He had got a cute friend, who was fond of some vanilla-lavender ice cream. Her name was Luca. Somehow, along Luca’s presence, that tiny town frantically started being a witness of such serial murders.  
First, there was a dead-body found nearly out of the city park. It was mutilated into some pieces. Then, another corpses were ironically found each place and would make everyone, included you, got vomit out of from your stomach as you saw them. Leopold Dell, a detective who had not solved the serious cases before, and Damita King, a journalist who was willing to go through many ways to get more informations, need to collaborate as they try to have the murderer of the entire town.  
Corpses, mutilated bodies, blood, the screaming-out... anything that you think was scary, will be figured out in this book until the last page. And I guarantee, you won’t stop till the case is closed!" 
My first reaction towards this novel is; "Wow, I guess i got so astonished of this!" I presume you, readers, it does really amaze me as I read the summary. The plot is more dominated about a cute little girl that being a murderer of the town. I might be so impressed by the story, but the writing-style by the author is amazingly more fantastic.
And I love how the author arranged the phrases and chose such psychopatic-plot as the main idea. However, I am a little bit upset with the ending. I expect more than just a ‘the-hero-will-always-win’ ending! Indeed, I am madly in love with the plot but I can’t still find a kind of twist as I read the last page. So, when I closed the book, all I could say was “Eh? It’s all over?”. And there's still a question keeps hanging on my ears; "Why did the murder do their thing and go terror people in town?" I can not figure out yet the real motive of the murderer, I mean, it is absolutely impossible that people kill another with no apparent reason. I demand more logical excuses, anyway.
And as I recalled, the quality of paper is not as good as the story itself. Some pages were printed as if they ran out of ink. Also, some are easily slipped off from the cover, makes me assumed that the papers were not glued well when they were pressed as a book. For me, it's really bothering how i try to turn the page and suddenly it drops off. I know it might not be a mistake from the author, however i suppose the publisher to keep an eye about the quality standard much more. 
And another impression is, firstly I thought it is a kind of novel that has been translated into Bahasa. Nevertheless, when I searched for a few things related to this novel, apparently the author is originally an Indonesian. For those who like read some novels, I guess you could exactly distinguish a lot of differences between translated-novel and local-novel. By the words, or even how the author tells you the setting and details as well. They would  be obviously different. But this one, it’s such unbelievable that My Name is Luca is a local-novel. Besides it takes western style for the background, but also Shelley got her story like Hollywood thriller movies that been the box offices on the cinema. It is cool!
Honestly, I find it’s hard to see any side that My Name is Luca is a bad one. I recommend to those who are slasher-freaks, you need to read this novel. In addition, it is created for adults. So, if you’re under 17, i suppose you not to open the pages. Do not ask me why, because you better read another kid things like Looney Tunes or SpongeBob comics or another kiddy stuff.  
And if you ask me how many stars i will give to this book, i think 4 from 5 is pretty enough because it' means incredibly awesome!


You Might Also Like

4 komentar

  1. Yeah, me too! I like this book so much. I mean, I like crime and fiction books, and this book was satisfied. My favorite is Luca's uncle. He's so smart! And last, the author is awesome. Make me feel like guilty because of Luca's guilt. Um but, I read this book last year, when I was 13!

    BalasHapus
  2. Well, i wish there would be a lot of Indonesian fictions like this because this is the one of the most incredible book i ever read. I, sometimes, imagine it in my own visualisation and it does seem like so unbelievable!!

    Anyhow, thanks for commenting it.

    Best regard,

    Amaliah Black

    BalasHapus
  3. Thanks for making this review!

    BalasHapus
  4. Tbh, it was made for school's task and WOW! Got special stuff right from the author :o Thanks too, for visiting this post anyway! :)

    BalasHapus